ICLEI Kadikoy Communique 2022
Building bridges for a sustainable urban world in the age of emergency
As a result of the Sustainable Cities Summit in Kadikoy, Istanbul, we are resolved for the following;
Humanity is facing multiple challenges; climate emergency is reaching to tipping points, COVID-19 pandemic deepened social and economic inequalities, democratic institutions and principles are weakening, wars and military conflicts are reaching into new heights with the latest Russian invasion of Ukraine. And yet, global multilateral governance is not adequately responding to any of these. With majority of global population living in cities, we are committed to strengthen, empower, connect and engage local and regional governments so that multilevel action can serve as the beacon of hope.
In early 2000s, Turkey was praised in championing Local Agenda 21. As one of the leading global networks, ICLEI offers a huge potential to support sustainability committments of Turkish municipalities towards 2030 and 2050. By March 2024, we hope to see a substantial increase of membership of Turkish municipalities within ICLEI. We also encourage Turkish municipalities to actively engage in ICLEI initiatives and networks including GreenClimateCities, CitiesWithNature, ICLEI Circulars, CityFoodNetwork, Ecomobility Alliance, Procura+, Transformative Actions Programme for climate finance, 100% Renewables, SDGsInCitiesChallenge. We invite ICLEI to support further development and dissemination of the concept of Circular Culture globally, as a unique and innovative approach originating from Turkey.
No city, Mayor or country can face global challenges alone. Through networks and partnerships of ICLEI, we encourage Turkish municipalities to accelerate their active engagement in European and global initiatives including European Covenant of Mayors, European Green City Accord, European Circular Cities Declaration, European Local Green Deals, as well as UN-led initiatives such as Paris Agreement compatible UN-led Race-To-Zero and Race-To-Resilience campaigns on ambitious climate action, Making Cities Resilient 2030 or Voluntary Local Review of Sustainable Development Goals.
Turkey´s cultural, historical, social and geopolitical connections offer a broad diversity of partnership potentials. We invite Turkish municipalities to collaborate with ICLEI to enhance active engagement of other cities and regions in the Europe, Mediterranean, Black Sea, Balkans, Middle East, West Asia in the global sustainability efforts.
Through its broad network, ICLEI can be an important partner for Turkish municipalities to be more actively engaged in global processes so that they can be informed appropriately and share their experiences effectively. We particularly highlight UN Secretary General´s Our Common Agenda and Task Force on Future of Cities, climate-biodiversity-desertification Conferences of Parties in Cote D´Ivoire, China and Egypt, 11th World Urban Forum in Poland. We will also have a special focus for Biodiversity COP16 to be hosted in Turkey in 2024. Last but not least, we invite Turkish municipalities to actively participate at ICLEI World Congress in Malmö on 11-13 May 2022 for an effective implementation, dissemination and follow-up of committments listed in this document.
Signed and declared in Kadikoy, Istanbul, Turkey on 18 March 2022
1. Şerdil Dara Odabaşı, Mayor, Kadikoy Municipalty (Istanbul, Türkiye)
2. Tunç Soyer, Mayor, Izmir Metropolitan Municipality; Co-Chair on Climate Action, ICLEI Global Executive Committee
3. Minna Arve, Mayor, Turku Municipality (Finland)
4. Peter Kurz, Mayor, Mannheim Municipality; Chair of Global Parliament of Mayors
5. Ekrem İmamoğlu, Mayor, Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality
6. Fatma Kaplan Hürriyet, Mayor, Izmit Municipality (Kocaeli, Türkiye)
7. Ali Orkun Ercengiz, Mayor, Burdur Municipality (Türkiye)
8. Birsen Çelik, Mayor, Bozkurt Municipality (Denizli, Türkiye)
9. Recep Gürkan, Mayor, Edirne Municipality (Türkiye)
10. Alper Taşdelen, Mayor, Cankaya Municipality (Ankara, Türkiye)
11. Gökhan Yüksel, Mayor, Kartal Municipality (Istanbul, Türkiye)
12. Muammer Keskin, Mayor, Sisli Municipality (Istanbul, Türkiye)
13. Ülgür Gökhan, Mayor, Canakkale Municipality (Türkiye)
14. Mehmet Siyam Kesimoğlu, Mayor, Kırklareli Municipality (Türkiye)
15. Turgay Erdem, Mayor, Nilufer Municipality (Bursa, Türkiye)
16. Özdem Mustafa İnce, Mayor, Guzelbahce Municipality (Izmir, Türkiye)
17. Selim Utku Gümrükçü, Mayor, Cigli Municipality (Izmir, Türkiye)
18. Şükrü Sözen, Mayor, Manavgat Municipality (Antalya, Türkiye)
19. Selman Hasan Arslan, Balıkesir Edremit Belediye Başkanı
20. Abdullah Özyiğit, Mayor, Yenisehir Municipality (Mersin, Türkiye)
21. Av. Kazım Kurt, Mayor, Odunpazari Municipality (Eskisehir, Türkiye)
22. Av. Abdullah Hacı, Mayor, Babaeski Municipality (Kırklareli, Türkiye)
23. Bülent Kantarcı, Mayor, Caycuma Municipality (Zonguldak, Türkiye)
24. Refik Eryılmaz, Mayor, Samandag Municipality (Hatay, Türkiye)
25. Dr. Murat Gerenli, Mayor, Luleburgaz Municipality (Kirklareli, Türkiye)
26. A. Deniz Atabay, Mayor, Didim Municipality (Aydin, Türkiye)